Drilon opposes release of narco-list, says it is an ‘abuse of authority’

Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon / Photo from Rappler



Manila, Philippines - Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon expressed opposition to Department of Interior and Local Government’s (DILG) plan to release the list of politicians allegedly involved in the illegal drug trade saying it as an “abuse of authority.”

“The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) exposes itself to an administrative complaint for abuse of authority, libel, and damages for the release of such list,” Drilon said in a statement.



The opposition senator said candidates in the 2019 midterm elections can file a temporary restraining order (TRO) or an injunction to prevent the release of the “narco-list.”

“Any candidate for the May 2019 election can go to court and seek a TRO or an injunction against the release of the alleged narco-list as it is an abuse of authority, lacks due process, and will adversely affect the election results for those who are named in the said narco-list,” Drilon said.

Drilon also advised the DILG to instead file cases against these alleged narco-politicians.

DILG secretary Eduardo Año said earlier that the “narco-list” could be released in the coming days after President Rodrigo Duterte gave his go signal to it during the Cabinet meeting on Monday.

Ano said that list is targeted to be released before the May 13 elections to serve as guide for voters.


Source: Panay News

Post a Comment

0 Comments