Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Robredo: Marcos offer to give back wealth could be their ploy to escape the "legal repercussions"

Photo file of Leni Robredo and Bong-Bong Marcos (ctto)


Last week, President Rodridgo Duterte announced the willingness of the Marcoses to return their questionable wealth which includes the controversial gold bars to the government.

Meanwhile, according to Vice President Leni Robredo on Wednesday - Marcos family could only be offering to return some of their ill-gotten wealth to the government in order for them to escape the “legal repercussions” of stealing from the country.

Robredo also rejects the idea to grant the successors of former President Ferdinand Marcos of the immunity if the family will not admit to their crimes.

 “Iyong sa akin kasi, bago pag-usapan iyong immunity, dapat may pag-amin muna ng kasalanan. Mahirap magpatawad sa isang tao na hindi naman inaamin iyong kasalanan,” She told the reporters during her visit to Maricaban, Pasay as part of her Angat Buhay-Metro Laylayan program for the poor.

Although many were surprised on president Duterte’s announcement that the former president’s family is open to return some, Robredo noted that it should always be remembered how much the Marcoses stole from the people.

“The Marcoses gave the people a difficult time in pursuing the cases against them,” she said. “It was not easy to file cases. If we look back on history, it has been 31 years since we file cases but only half have been recovered by government and returned to the people. There is still the other half that have yet to be recovered.” Robredo said.

Reports said that Marcoses have amassed an estimated $5 billion to $10 billion in their more than two decades ruling in the Philippines.

The government reportedly recovered around $3 billion in the last 30 years of pursuit of the said ill-gotten wealth through Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG), which was created by the 1987 Constitution.